[TYPO3-dev] RFC as tool to concept branch 5.x

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Thu Jun 1 11:27:53 CEST 2006

Elmar Hinz wrote:

> I miss in your concept:
>
> * automaic versioning
> * automatic HTML display
> * automatic PDF generation
> * example code easy to run as extension
> * sql tables and data
> * posibility to ship attachments like UML bundled with the RFC
> * indexing and search

Sorry people, but wasn't the sole purpose of RFCs (and I mean *our*
definition of it) to just have a structured approach to present ideas.
This whole discussion drifts into the worst kind of JAVAesque spec
fetishism where you have to write 200 pages of spec before writing one
line of code. Essentially, I fully agree with Dan that those RFCs are
not of interest for regular users and obsolete by design once they're
implemented.

TYPO3 is a 400-pound gorilla of code already, and a rewrite cannot
succeed without agile software engineering and adhering to best free
software development practices.

I think we need to
a) get focused on the actual issues to be solved
b) interest people in helping
c) get started

All of these issues are severely hindered by 'classic' RFCs which are
the safest way to scare any interested person away, take years and
decades to be discussed (or finally implemented). The enhancement
proposals for TYPO3 are not made for eternity, but only to keep
development focussed in the initial 5.0 phase.

Finally, before reinventing yet another wheel, I wholeheartedly
recommend anyone to look at the Python Enhancement Proposals (PEP) which
I think are perfectly suited both in form and process for us, and strike
a balance between well-thought out docs and rapid development.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/

Greetings,
Michael

--