[TYPO3-dev] best practice for large forms

Wed Jul 26 09:47:43 CEST 2006

Markus Schorer wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm looking for a "best practice" approach to the following problem:
>
> - i have a set of 16 paper-forms (16 aspects of accessibility info)
> - each form consists of 5 to 25 input fields
> - many fields belong together, should be grouped visually and maybe
> logically (hasfeature: no/yes, if yes ...)
>
> with my limited knowledge and experience i see several possible ways to go:
>
> - a plugin with flexform: creating a 16-tab flexform, using the
> predefined pi_flexform-column
> relatively easy to setup, no database bloat ... but
> i find no way of arranging the fields in panels/groups

On HTML level this are FIELDSETs. Maybe you should extend the flexform
renderer to support fieldsets if it doesn't do yet.

For the logic you need to bring some dynamic to flexform configuration. The
extension dynaflex goes into that direction.

> - a plugin using dividers2tabs: creating a form with --div-- tabs
> mid-complicated setup, good arranging of fields ... but
> yet another db-table with _lots_ of columns

Another table is not a problem. The advantage comparing flexform is that
you can use every field as a search index or real key to other tables.

> - using templavoila with fce's:
> interactive setup, using single db-field but
> lots of config work/templates, "strange" integration

My feeling is that this is not a direct way to do it, maybe due to lack of
experience with TV.

Regards

Elmar