[TYPO3-dev] stable = documented ?

steve ryan stever at syntithenai.com
Wed Jul 26 05:49:35 CEST 2006

Mechanisms for injecting configuration
*($this->conf)
1 - constants and setup in sys_template records
2 - ext_typoscript_setup.txt and ext_typoscript_constants.txt
3 - static/pi1/setup.txt and static/pi1/constants.txt
4 - fields in tt_content related to specific plugin BAD
5 - flexforms
6 - template constant editor
8 - php definitions in ext_localconf.php

Thoughts
* it is desirable that a plugin works out of the box for beginners
* seperation of cascading (TS) or per content (fields/flexforms)
configuration
* where is configuration loaded/combined - extension rendering,
extension loading
* removing junk configuration for efficiency ??
* who is setting configuration - users, admin, developer
* seperation of configuration - default(2) , preset
customisation(3/5/7), arbitrary customisation(1/4/?5)
* interpretation of empty/invalid configuration. User feedback at
extension rendering.
* known mechanisms/standards - _DEFAULT_CSS, static templates,
sys_template records, table=, global storage page
* order of inclusion (order of extension installation/template inclusion)

For my money. I set pretty much everything configurable as defaults and
examples and reference in ext_typoscript_setup.txt and
ext_typoscript_constants.txt and use flexforms or template records to
tweak. I have used flexforms for preset style configuration. I guess
static templates also fill the preset role in a somewhat less intuitive
but cascading manner.
I don't see the problem with dumping a whole stack of working/example
config as a default. It's easy enough clean up - plugin.blah > or
whatever else is an appropriate inclusion method.

Steve Ryan