[TYPO3-dev] proposal to make workspaces an extension

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed Jul 19 13:41:18 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>> Versioning is part of the Core but the UI is optional (as an
>> extension). It should IMHO be the same for WSs. So if you don't need
>> it, then you simply don't load.
>
> It is a module, you can always disable it for users :)

I think it's UI still creeps up somewhere even if you disable it. At least
you get the WS selector in the bottom-right edge.

> While it is not in extension, it at least encourages people to try it.

I don't recommed it anyway.

It's broken in some ways. There are too many ways to get dead-ends when
using auto-versioning (the "fix" is to publish the unwanted content!).
Links may be broken because TYPO3 may change the uid in some certainces
(instead of linking the "object ids" shared by all instances of an
"object"). Page permissions and page TS are broken (TYPO3 sometimes uses
the wrong permissions or none at all).

The UI is cumbersome and not easily understood. Versioning *is*
complicated, no doubt. But I always get lost in the myrias of options.
Maybe I shouldn't think that I am more clever than my customers, but at
least I have troubles explaining something I don't understand ;-) And the
thing is not compeltely localized.

Don't get me wrong. Versioning is complex. I see that much labour has been
spent into the system. But it the work isn't finished yet. IMHO WS are not
ready for production. I see them in a late beta to early RC state.

 > If it is in extension, not many people will use workspaces.

"Nobody" is using them right now. I couldn't find mayn that do and I always
read of

Masi

PS: Not to forget my favorite: DRAFT is unusable and pointless because it
is lacking access to fileadmin making impossible to edit "text w/image".