[TYPO3-dev] locking of records

stefano cecere scecere at krur.com
Fri Jan 27 17:04:27 CET 2006

ben van 't ende wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of our clients have at some point asked if records in the backend
> can be locked when they are being edited by a user so another user
> cannot edit them at the same time. Ofcourse there is the warning.
>
> Kasper told me a lot of people also think locking of records has more
> disadvantages than advantages.
>
> What do you think about that?

i agree it's not easy topic
for me the the real problem is if some records remains locked forever

for a non typo3 application i developed (coldfusion & mysql) i had the same issue
at last i had to lock records, but coldfusion has this nice thing of integrated cron services, so to check every n minutes if locked records had to be unlocked.

maybe it could be done that a typo3 locked record can be edited by another BE user before a n variable minutes of inactivity on that record.

the problem is : in how many way can a record editing procedure be started? it could be hard to patch all of them to check lock state and unlock them..

stefano