[TYPO3-dev] Licensing advice sought on unlabelled code

Dave Green david.green at bris.ac.uk
Thu Jan 26 14:31:19 CET 2006

Hi all,
May I ask a spot of advice please? I run an education website
(www.beep.ac.uk) with hundreds of outgoing links. To make this more
managable, I'm writing a BE external link validation submodule borrowing
code from from the link checker published here
http://members.lycos.co.uk/phplinkchecker/. And once I've finished, I'd
love to contribute the result back to the T3 community.

The trouble is I can't think of any way to establish precislely what the
  license terms are for this code.
- the code contains no author or license info whatseoever
- the page was published 4 years ago on a generic freebie page, so the
owner is not traceable via whois.
- the contact email doesn't work and is from an ISP, so it could be anyone.
- the indicated author's details also don't work and his/her domain has
expired and is untraceable via whios.

Is this a case of:
1) if you can't PROVE its freeware/GPL, rip it out and find something else.
2) learn from the code and start again from scratch
3) assume it is freeware and use it

What would your collective wisdom suggest?
Many thanks
David Green