[TYPO3-dev] TER-installations

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Jan 23 19:47:32 CET 2006

Christopher wrote:

> On 1/23/06, tapio <tapio.markula at dnainternet.net> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I discussed with nebula.fi
>>
>> Installing plugins using TER set user rights 775.
>>
>> According to Nebula this is too much.
>>
>> It is possible to use plugins only if user right
>> are 755. Nebula regards 755 correct setting.
>>
>> Could it be possible to change this issue in 4.x?

Probably not the best strategy to sell an idea... ;-)

> 775 means rwx rwx r-x. In most setups, scripts run as the webserver
> user (often 'nobody'). A common way of setting up scripts is to change
> the ownership of directories and files that need to be writeable to
> the account user, but change their group to the group of the webserver
> user. In this type of case, permissions must be set to 775 so that the
> webserver user can write to files and directories.

For once I agree with tapio. That should not be the default setting.

I think we discussed this topic some time ago, but after all there was not
much feedback except that from Dimitri Tarassenko.

> On the other hand, 755 means rwx r-x r-x. In many hosted environments,
> a default of 755 would mean that a) the webserver group could not
> create directories, and b) could not write to existing directories.

Installations should be opened by manual interaction, not by default.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out