[TYPO3-dev] OT: Graphical CVS client for OS X?

Luc de Louw luc.delouw at bit-heads.ch
Tue Jan 10 23:47:53 CET 2006

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Thanks Dimitri for sharing your always strong views :-)
>
> MS is no option for political reasons.

And for technical reasons too...

> Linux is no option for application reasons (anymore).

Hmmm... eclipse? kdeveloper? quanta? gimp?

> I actually realize that if you want to do coding most of your time
> you might like Linux better. And the keyboard on Mac powerbooks sucks
> pretty much, at least in the beginning where you are constantly
> playing hide'n'seek with every special character you use in coding.

With the keyboard I COMPLETELY agree unless you have a US-keyboard.

[..]

> That said: Mac has unmatched usability. They make computing easy,
> pleasant and effective. I find that my mental resources are freed to
> be spend on issues that matter. We could learn a lot from them for
> TYPO3.

Mac OS X is basically very nice (I own a Powerbook and a Mac mini). But:
The keyboard issue makes Apple Computers pretty unusable for development
(Where the heck are the curly braces? where is the pipe? where is
backtick? where is backslash?)

A big plus is also the support of 30" Displays on the powerbooks (yes!)

I wont compare OS X with Windows... But if I compare Mac OS X with
Linux: The most missed feature compared to Linux/Unix (X11) is the lack
of multiple desktops. On linux I have some 8 desktops each of them
containing the windows for a particular Project. I wont miss this, that
why I'm stuck on Linux/Unix

When Photoshop, you-name-it-windows-application etc is REALLY needed,
vmware on Linux is yout friend. It is the only way how to operate
Windows in a secure manner. Just create a  HD snapshot every few hours.

Whats about a OS shootout in Fiesch;-) I'll bring My two Thinkpads (with
Linux (with vmware) and Windows) and the  Powerbook :-)

BTW: Mac OS X as server? Never think about it, Mac OS X has severe
problems with multithreading applications such as MySQL...

rgds and see you (at least some of you) in Fiesch...

Luc