[TYPO3-dev] Master Style 4 Typo3

Johannes Reichardt typo3 at gramba.de
Tue Feb 21 02:20:51 CET 2006

Hey there!

Its late and my eyes are already burning after more than 12 hours
non-stop computing but nevertheless i would like to share an idea that
just came into my mind:

How about a "masterstyle" for Typo3?

Let me explain.

Right now every extension tends to introduce its own new styles - new
backgrounds of tds, new font classes, new margins and paddings and so
on. Even worse all that oldschool font tags in the template. We all know
the process of going through myriads of configuration places like the
constant editor, the default template, the stylesheet or even the
extension code itself for example. And after that your style is stil not
really "consistent" and you have a huge mess with tons of different
stylesheets and oldschool tags.

That really sucks big time.

So how about a concept that gently invites extension developers to use
predefined styles of the mastertemplate which comes along with a clean
typo3 install? So we have by default styles for the body, tds, borders,
errors etc.. and also for table lists, headers and so on. That way a lot
of other things could be removed (like typoscript styling etc...) and
you still would keep complete flexibility overall.

If you want to style your extension differently than just prepend
"ext_key" to the style and you use a whole own extension style. Or you
just add a few "styling exceptions" in the mastertemplate and off you go.

The point is to develop a template that is not too huge but still covers
most cases in a usual typo3 installation. That template should be
publicitly known and used as much as possible.

In the end it wouldn´t be just a dream but rather reality to install a
typo3 page out of the box in 30 minutes and completly style it along
with its extensions in another 30 minutes. And even better: You can
change things quickly without looking up tons of places anymore!

Actually i´m afraid there is already a concept like this and just gets
not used enough or i misunderstood it - if so please ignore this mail or
explain it to me, otherwise i would be glad to get comments on this idea.

Clean styles are the future! (Says a square-eyed-man ;)

- Johannes