[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 JSR-168/JSR-170 compliance w/ Jetspeed, Graffito and all that comes with it!

David Toshack david at vaultin.com
Wed Feb 15 15:54:26 CET 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Michael Scharkow wrote:
>> There might be a huge market in JAVA-based portal software, but I don't
>> think TYPO3 belongs in there. Moreover, most of the large and successful
>> websites *don't* run on JAVA portals: amazon, google, slashdot, younameit.
>
> Java simply had a good PR. It neither has good performance, nor it is
> true cross-platform. I know what I am talking about because I have to
> program in Java for a couple of years at my job.

Not sure what you're comparing it to here.

> Btw, Java must not be used at nuclear and other critical facilities. Sun
> explicitly declines any warranty about it. Why? It is simple: Java is a
> toy language and all Tomcats, etc are toys as well. They can be huge and

Hmmm thats one multi-billion dollar adult toy industry! Next thing you
know adult shops will be making vibrating Javas!
Please point me in the direction of a programming language with a
warranty, I've gotta find me one of those!

> monstrous but they are toys. They take much more resources and work much
> slower than other solutions.

That is just plain incorrect when you're dealing with scalable
applications. Any software engineer worth their salt will tell you that!
Like the following, that statement would be a bit too generalised to
comment on, but I couldn't help myself.

> I could tell a lot about Java server software and how bad it is. Bad
> just because it is a wrong idea to use Java for server programming. But
> I will not. This is not Java news group...

That statement is a bit too generalised to comment on. I agree, this is
not the place to repeat this age old debate.

I don't want to start a flame war. That was never my intention, although
I suspected my post would stir the pot. My intention was to hopefully
discuss the possibilities of ad hearing to industry defining standards
that cannot be ignored. Whether it be through J2EE, Rails, Zope, Django
or most likely, the up and coming Zend PHP Framework[1]. Obviously not
immediately but hopefully in years to come.

Long live standards in software, we have enough wheels without inventing
new ones!

Cheers,
David

[1] http://www.zend.com/collaboration/framework_overview