[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 4.0

Peter Kühn peter.kuehn at wmdb.de
Wed Feb 15 14:27:22 CET 2006

Hi Kasper, hi yall!

 > Now, I have no doubt that you can prove your bugs, but it conveys a
 > wrong picture of the state of workspaces
totally agree and to avoid any possible missunderstanding on beforehand:
workspaces and(!) the way kasper made it happen are the way to go and a
great tool.
please look at this post as a casestudy trying to inform you of some
things that i consider to be important enough to be solved asa*P* (small
"as soon as" - big "possible" ;) )

 > (Also, Ben van't Ende has been doing a lot of testing and realized
 > more than a few times that things he found was not a bug but just a
 > way that workspaces and versioning works.)
agree again. the workspace and versioning concept can be used in more
than twelve dozen ways and i dont think it will ever fit them all.

 > you are welcome to inform me
 > what the problems are (or point me to your bugtracker posts).

things that i consider to be a bug:

http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2567
If you look at an offlineversion of a page in "web>page"-module the
pages_language_overlay records are selected for the uid of the live-version.
therefore its not possible to create a translation of the
offlineversion, better: its created but not shown, cant be used and can
be created again.

http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2568
when looking at a languageversion of a page with wsol_preview.php the
correct set L-param in the URL is not distributed in the frameset
=> its not possible to preview a languageversion from a custom workspace

http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2531
on versioning of a *page* all records that are copied along with it
(configured as 'versioning_followPages') loose their mm-relations
(rene informed me that a solution for this issue has gone into cvs -
maybe this report could be closed)

http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2329
If you configure a custom-workspace with "auto-versioning when editing"
DISABLED and "versioning type element" DISABLED the "web > page" module
continues to show the edit-, move-, new-record- and delete-icons.
=> The editor can access a tt_content-Record and edit it and the
errormessage, telling that he cant save the record is shown when he
tries to save: his work on the element is lost.

a change that id like to suggest (rfc - currently not in the bugtracker):

There is a note in the workspace-manager if concurrent versions of
records exist. great. the downside i see is that they still can be
published which may lead to some sort of downgrade of livecontent:
fx: if two editors each create a version of a page - editor A to edit
contentelement 1 and editor B to edit contentelement 2 - publishing of
both page-versions imho leads to one of the changes not beeing published.
Maybe it might be a good idea to have a configurable option that
disables at least page-versioning if an unpublished version exists in
the draft- or one of the custom-workspaces. (definately just one of
mentioned 144+ ways to use the concept ;))

 > "A contribution a day keeps the fork away"
thnx for your attention
pekue