[TYPO3-dev] About comments

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Mon Feb 13 09:46:33 CET 2006

Hi!

I want to ask all of you (and especially core developers!) to put more
comments into source code :) It really simplifies life.

For example, right now I need to figure out how to solve one complex
problem that involves an extension, multilanguage, tcemain and
workspaces (so, many different places to examine and understand). I am
quite qualified in typo3 core code and have a long experience (nearly 10
years) of "reverse engineering" ideas behind code but it still takes
time to figure out what author wanted to achieve and what he did in
fact. I think, I could fix the problem two or three times faster if
there were comments in the code. I am not talking about phpdoc comments
but about comments inside functions. It is much easier to understand
what code *should* do as the opposite to what it actually does. We all
humans, we all sometimes do mistakes, we are not perfect (yet?). So, we
can help each other to make better code if we just put comments here and
there about our intentions.

What do you think about it?

Dmitry.