[TYPO3-dev] Time for AJAX coordination?

Simon Tuck e-mailNO at SPAMeyejet.com
Sun Feb 12 00:04:59 CET 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>>
>>> Building a site that only has a useful UI with AJAX is a broken site. So
>>> the lib must degrade gracefully.
>>

>> You know, I used to say almost the same a year ago but about Netscape 4:
>> "Site must work on NS4 as well".
>
> I am talking mainly about accessibility and alternate browsers (PDAs and
> stuff) not dinosaurs.
>
> Masi
Hi,
There are ways to degrade gracefully. For example you can use behaviour.js (http://bennolan.com/behaviour/). But there are other problems (like
the the back button).
IMO ajax is a gui functionality and I would use it sparingly in the FE, unless perhaps with logged in users or for form submission and
validation (and in those cases I would agree that it should degrade gracefully). But in the backend, or for FE editing, I would expect to be
able to make certain demands re. browser & javascript turned on etc. In those cases I think compliance with latest accessibility guidelines etc.
is overshooting the mark.
I'd say for a gui application (which is what I consider an ajax enabled BE and ajax enabled FE editing to be) the requirement to degrade
gracefully and to comply with accessibility standards and to be accessible for a PDA etc. is too limiting. A pure ajax BE is not the solution
either though. There will always be situations where it just won't work (maybe the client considers js http request a security risk). So the
alternative, non-ajax editing method has to remain.
Cheers,
Simon
PS. What's Netscape 4? I've never heard of it ;-)