[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Mathias Schreiber mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Fri Feb 10 20:15:07 CET 2006

Michael Stucki wrote:

[ELMAR]
>>> For the seriousity of TYPO3 I find extensions that suddenly don't
>>> work any more a big problem. Working with symlinks isn't pretty,
>>> but not a real problem. I could accept such an hard step, if it
>>> would be the only way to go.

Noone would bother until version 5 and you would have the same discussion
all over again.

[RENE]
>> But the changes ALLOW to discard the symlinks which might result in
>> a few non-working extensions which can be fixed easily.

make it so...

[KING OF MALLORCA]
> Full ACK. If we don't change it now, nobody will notice that his
> extension needs to be changed.
>
> Just compare this with the DB API which is present for more than a
> year already. If we could somehow disable the direct execution of the
> mysql_* functions, people would finally start to change their
> extensions.

Right.
I think the idea of having the symlinked parts moved to other parts of the
core where no redundant files are needed is a BIG step.
Plus: this will make live a LOT easier for those not using symlinks at all
(like windows users for example).
And even if you don't like windows, face the facts... TYPO3 is gaining in
the enterprise market where windows is used a lot.
Making updates easier for the admins will also improve acceptance there...

DOWN WITH THE SYMLINKS...
...although I will have to fix some extensions then ;-)