[TYPO3-dev] Migration from Typo3 3.8.0 to 4.0 beta

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Tue Feb 7 14:15:46 CET 2006

Ingo Renner wrote:
> Am Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:05:17 +0100 schrieb Andreas Balzer:
>
>> Hi!
>> I just wanted to ask you as developers, whether it makes sense, to
>> migrate from typo3 3.8.0 to the beta of version 4 already? (Because we
>> have just holidays and more time to do..)
>
> Do not use beta software unless you understand waht beta means.

Hey Ingo, Andreas just asked whether this particular TYPO3 version is
stable enough to be used and didn't ask for beta software in general!

To answer Andreas' question:
Yes, there are no known critical bugs in 4.0beta2, and there won't be a
problem in upgrading to the final later.

However, this does NOT mean that beta3 won't contain any critical bugs,
because it will contain some brand-new stuff like the new extension
manager for TER2 which hasn't been broadly tested yet.

And @tapio, your comment "the pages table is not backwards compatible"
is a bit misleading, because going into the install tool and clicking
"Compare" and "Import" in the database analyzer is the way to go for
every upgrade, so there's nothing special here.

cheers,
Ingmar