[TYPO3-dev] captcha

Zorik zorik2005 at zorik.net
Thu Dec 14 01:18:35 CET 2006

1. I do not use captcha. I do not like websites using this type of
protection and perceive it user annoying. developers trying to fight the
bots make text unreadable for humans.
2. As a bot developer I can state that many such images can successfully be
read by a bot. This protection definately requires counting form
submissions and access denial for more than 5-10 submissions.

As for using this as "anti-spam". I believe, that it is better to receive 9
spam messages and 1 contact, then receiving no messages because visitor got
annoyed while filling the contact form.

As for login forms etc. - I personally use bots for doing job instead of me.
And it is very handy. And it does not violate any law written or spoken.
And bot's behavior does not differ from mine. So I see absolutely no
problem with this. In contrast - I promote this technology. According to my
experience - it can leverage work effort by 10 times.

As a developer of automation framework I am very confused by people
perceiving automation and artificial intelligence technology as spam
networks and fraud clicks generators.
(And I am very angry on spammers and scammers for creating this image)

As a bottom line - I do not think captcha technology should be used widely.
This is why I do not think it should be implemented in core.

As for forms processing in the core in general - I believe the whole process
must be removed from core and put in separate extension (T3 service). This
would provide much more flexibility, allow more active development and
enable wider usage of T3 forms (instead of php in extensions), therefore
more standartized processing of forms generation and data processing,
unified control.

--
Zorik