[TYPO3-dev] New doktype: automatic BE page tree for record attributes

Cyprian Kowalczyk cyprian at pi2.pl
Sat Dec 9 13:40:17 CET 2006

Hello Everyone,

I would like to present you, fellow typo3 developers, an idea of a new
doktype which allows automatic BE page tree generation and should lead to
easier record browsing / management.
Maybe someone has already thought about something like this, or even
started working on it?
Anyways, here we go:

Imagine one's got, say, hotel records with two attributes: category
[stars, *** etc] and location.
One create records in this new page type folder. In, say, TCA one points
that these fields are the attributes to be used for automatic page tree
generation, please see the attachment. I imagine that all the menu inside
'Hotels' is generated automatically depending on records stored in this
page.
So navigating to: 'hotels > categories > cat 1 > loc 1' gives one hotels
with 'cat 1' and located in 'loc 1', when 'hotels > categories > cat 1'
gives one all hotels having attribute category set to 'cat 1' and these
pseudo-menu items / quasi-pages are created automatically.

I hope I am clear enough and I don't need to explain it any further.

I am curious about your opinions as I am interesting in implementing such
a feature as Typo3 list display is pretty... hm... basic?
There is even no sort by feature, not mentioning sorting out only selected
values from selected fields in the BE.

Imagine having tt_news records in such a folder when an automatic
structure is generated split by dates [ranges, months, years anything you
want]...

Well, let me know what do you think.

--

regards, Cyprian