[TYPO3-dev] Contribution

Johannes Reichardt typo3 at gramba.de
Thu Aug 24 15:11:57 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,
> You have two options:
> a) you wait and rant from time to time
> b) you take the initiative!

I choose a right now ;) - actually i am right now in the state of
"hopefully soon making a living with a big typo3 project" (since a few
years now;) and thats why i don´t have much time left for "real
contributions. I really hope that will change very soon.

> One of the biggest problems we have is that there are only a few active
> people who are doing > 90% of the whole TYPO3 project:
> - Development
> - Server administration
> - Mailing list support
> - Team leading
> - and much more
>
> When I started with TYPO3 I also had no clue about caching mechanisms and
> stuff like this. So what I did was to read through the code and trying to
> understand it.

Some core related things are outside the scope of most peoples knowledge
- in general i would ask for tools that  - once set up - enable more
people to work on the core or deeply understand the structures of typo3.
That would take loads off your shoulders ideally (like a more flexible
wiki concept for documentation, function maps of typo3 structures and so
on).
> Why not could someone else do the same instead that he waits until a
> developer takes care of even more tasks?

Thats why i rant on these things from time to time. If i could
improve/add extension documentation for example  i could quickly
contribute (rather than have additions spread over comments, emails,
articles, pdfs, wikis, forums etc...) - if i could fully understand the
typo3 caching mechanisms with a quick eye on it i could build my stuff
quicker and had more time left for things "that really have to be done".
As is now i have a lot of work understanding the parts that are needed
for my projects and had even much more work to get the big picture for
making documentation.

I vote for more "wikiaziation" and "visualization" of the typo3.org
related things in general. What do you think? I´d contribute structuring
this (which would be simple:
1. Wiki for pretty much ALL purposes relating to documentation (allows
crosslinking, adding and joining contents *quickly*)
2. Still more general tools and howtos that enable you to get the big
picture without being an expert.)

- Johannes