[TYPO3-dev] Typo3 Icon Contribution

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Mon Aug 21 17:13:35 CEST 2006

Christopher schrieb:

>> To be precise. The skin tries to add some height into TCA form sections.
>> The BE has no classes for the TDs. So the skin added paddings or
>> margins (I
>> don't rememver) to all INPUT tags. This is ugly in many situatiosn and
>> completele destroys the alignment of checkboxes.
>
> Well, a global margin on input would be sure to cause problems.

It is a problem, because there is such a margin.

 > But this problem does NOT indicate that usual best practices for writing
> CSS should be ignored. If anything it indicates that the  crufty HTML
> in the BE is in very, very serious need of improvement.

Certainly. It's old HTML code with CSS only as an afterthought.

 > Since we're
> talking about fixing the BE in the first place, let's fix the actual
> problem rather than making things _worse_ by bloating the CSS in order
> to fix deficiencies in the markup.

> But in any case, you can use attribute selectors to target the
> differnt types of input elements for every modern browser on earth
> (including, supposedly, the upcoming release of IE7) except IE6, and
> there you can use expressions:
>
> /* For most browsers: */
> input[type=checkbox] { margin:0; }

I know this.

> /* For IE 5 and 6: */
> input { margin:expression(this.type=="checkbox"? '0' : '1em;'); }

I didn't know that.

> The best way to deal with IE's many problems is to remove IE-only
> styles to a separate stylesheet using conditional comments.

Done that.

Using the IE-only CSS expressions the CSS can perhaps be fixed without too
much work in the old HTML-BE code

>> The problem is that the current BE lacks some classes. This must be
>> changed> for 4.0.2.
>
> For 4.0.2 maybe

Yes.

 > --though I would still suggest exploring the
> possibilities with the CSS--in the long term, the BE's HTML _must_ be
> fixed.

I suggest a) to remove all layout code into separate code (think MVC) and
b) to create a viewer that works with (Smarty) templates.

So while we're working on a) and b) we can easily throw away all the crufty
HTML code.

Masi