[TYPO3-dev] Typo3 Icon Contribution

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Fri Aug 18 16:48:52 CEST 2006

>> And the idea to set a style for TAG without bindign
>> to a class still makes me shudder...
>
> Sorry if this seems like a stupid question--I have /not/ dug into the
> skinning API or looked very deeply into the new skin.  But why would
> styling tags directly be a bad idea?
>
> Styling the BE would have different requirements from the FE, and must
> use many more classes, but even in the BE there must be many times
> when it makes sense to set a default style--by styling the tag--and
> afterwards /vary/ that style as needed with classes?

Exactly this is the usual way to keep the HTML code as lean as possible.

In most cases the only class you need can be assigned to a div container
surrounding simple tags without any class.

So you can have

/* default styles */

p {
    whatever
}

/* special styles */

.myclass1 p {
    whatever
}

.myclass2 p {
    whatever
}

assigning a class to each of the tags in such a container would create a lot
of useless overhead.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de