[Typo3-dev] Typo3 4.0 wishlist ;) <rant>

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Nov 30 10:14:58 CET 2005

Johannes Reichardt schrieb am 29.11.2005 12:26:

>> Well, if you have a look at how caching works internally you'd see
>> that we
>> have two options: Showing a blank page or a "Pages being generated"
>> message. The point is, that we have to show _something_ if a page is
>> accessed which already has been started to render but is not finished
>> yet.

> Obviously that is not the point. The way it goes with searchengines
> (which really have to be respected today) is the problem. Both ways are
> not well - maybe the service unavailable method makes sense, i wonder
> how long that "generating" will take normally and if someone cant just
> wait 5 or 10 seconds these days without seeing something instead.

The problem here is not the user that is waiting for the page to be
generated, but all other accesses to the same page that happen at the
same time (in paralell), while user #1 is generating the page. If you
hadn't this feature, all paralell requests would try to generate the
page again. Now imagine a site with several hunderts of hits a seconds:
why should typo3 generate the same page 100 times?

Maybe another solution, instead of putting this "generating" message in
the cache meanwhile, would be that other clients just have to wait until
the page is generated. By having the server (instead of the client!) use
some "sleep()" or other mechanism and trying again in a few seconds to
see if the cache has been build. Isn't that technically possible?

Cheers,
Ernesto