[Typo3-dev] Typo3 4.0 wishlist ;) <rant>

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Tue Nov 29 07:37:28 CET 2005

Hi Johannes,

Johannes Reichardt wrote:

> - page is being generated message
> This message is the worst-case scenario for searchengines and very nasty
> for visitors as well. i wonder why that is not completly removed.

Well, if you have a look at how caching works internally you'd see that we
have two options: Showing a blank page or a "Pages being generated"
message. The point is, that we have to show _something_ if a page is
accessed which already has been started to render but is not finished yet.

BTW: You can configure the "Page is being generated" message, should be easy
setting it to an empty string.

> - extremly unpleasant errorhandling
> typo3 seems to "hate" 404 messages. at least with realurl. everything i
> tried so far resulted in just something (like a 200 message or something
> else) but i never got a real 404. even when i use apache with
> ErrorDocument 404 i get a 404 page that contains a moved 200 message.

> What i want to say: The whole errordocument and message thing is a
> complete mess with realurl and confusing for searchengines. I also miss
> a way to tell an extension to just throw a 404 - would be great for
> dynamic pages that use fixedPostVars for example.

Changelog RealUrl:

2004-06-10  Kasper Skårhøj
   * For 404 handling, realurl will now use the default TYPO# pageNotFound
handling.

Which means: You can configure it to send a real 404 message.

> Yet another problem is having realUrl links that are only "one way
> tickets" - means that they have to be in the cache to be valid,
> otherwise they do throw an 200, a 404, the startpage, the next directory
> level, nothing or just something. That is extremly bad for "link
> transparency" as well.

So, what do you suggest? It's the same with indexed_search: A page has to be
in the cache so your can search it.

> In general i am still having trouble with too many options that are too
> much embedded in a complex environment, making changes and understanding
> a real pain.
>
> Maybe there is some sort of "typo3 light" in the future with a
> bullet-proof built in realurl/static_html implementation and
> compatibility and built-in options overhead in general?

The problem is: You want it this way, I want it differently. That's why it
is configurable.

> Just that you get me right - the problems above seem very common and are
> also very related to the "core functions" of a website. A page that
> shows "page is being generated" is not acceptable and a 404 redirect
> that throws a 200 either.
>
> What you think? ;)

<backrant>
   Well, I think that most of this is solved and that your suggestions come
   a bit late for 4.0. They could have been good suggestions for the Zap The
   Gremlins.
   Of course I can't require you to know all technical background of the
   TYPO3 caching mechanism, but if you really suggest changing it, I ask you
   politely to look at the implementation and propose a realistic
   alternative. It might look easy at the first glance, but it's quite
   complex ...
</backrant>

Have a nice Tuesday,

robert
--
Robert Lemke
TYPO3 Association - Research & Development