[Typo3-dev] Non-GPL licence on a GPL extension

Martin Seebach martin at biplane.dk
Fri Nov 25 14:32:52 CET 2005

fre, 25 11 2005 kl. 14:09 +0100, skrev Martin Kutschker:

> > I find no word about restrictions in usage. IMHO everthing GPL covers is
> > distribution.
>
> No they cover copying, distribution and modification (2nd paragraph
> right after the preamble). So if you get yourself (as a user) a copy of
> TYPO3 and want it to modify it to work with 3rdp party code you have to
> obey the licence.

The GPL does not limit you in how you can modify the code. If, however,
you distribute the changes it *must* be within the GPL.
It is not against the GPL to link eg. the GNU tools against the SUN
Solaris (non-free) libc using the SUN Studio (non-free) compiler. It is,
however, against the GPL to distribute this binary.

// Martin