[Typo3-dev] Non-GPL licence on a GPL extension

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Thu Nov 24 15:04:59 CET 2005

Dimitri Tarassenko schrieb:
> On 11/24/05, Martin Kutschker <Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net> wrote:
>
>>This is NOT what I wrote. To the contrary! You can NEVER use any
>>non-GPL-compatible code with TYPO3 except if you use a CLI-API.
>
> Incorrect. You can not distribute TYPO3 with parts that are not GPL.
> When you USE it you may do as you please.
>
>>There are no exceptions to the GPL. Any custom code you write for
>>customers has to be GPL'ed (or be in a compatible licence).
>
> Incorrect. Any custom code that you CHOOSE to distribute (and you
> don't have to) has to be GPL'ed.

Why would the user be exempt from the licence?!!

Everyone including developers and the end users have to obey the licence
rules which say no to linking with non-GPL compatible code.

If the user could mix GPL and non-GPL code there would be no point in
using the GPL at all.

IMHO the mentiond ways to "avoid" the GPL-linkage problem are a) no
solution as they breach the licence and b) clearly against the spirit of
the GPL.

In short, if you (as a developer) don't like the GPL, don't use it and
stick to non-GPLed frameworks.

The freedom of the GPL has it's price. But it's one worth paying.

Masi