[Typo3-dev] Non-GPL licence on a GPL extension

Georg Kuehnberger georg_ml at kuehnberger.com
Wed Nov 23 17:11:04 CET 2005

At 15:58 23.11.2005, Martin Kutschker wrote:
>Elmar Hinz schrieb:
> >> Typically you buy either support or some extra-features with the
> >> non-GPL version.
> >>
> >> Masi
> >
> > in TYPO3 you rather seldom buy extra-features with non-GPL because GPL
> > is very infectous.

right; for the simple reason that using an existing & wellknown API speeds
up developement and offers higher quality ( in most cases ), rather than
reinventing the wheel;
eg. we offer our clients also custom non-gpl versions for special pieces,
which however are seldome (but are) choosen by the client, as for the above
reasons.

> > Typically you buy either support or you sponser some GPL coverd
> > improvements that you require. I admit some people "forget" to let them
> > free.
>I was not talking about TYPO3 but standalone apps.
>You can only buy TYPO3 support.

as stated above and also explained by masi, you might offer integrateable
non-GPL standalone apps, which integrate fine into TYPO3;

>permission. So there can be no non-GPLed stuff in TYPO3.

Right you as as for the "in" - that is for the core which is packaged and
released under the GPL;
however I guess it's less of a problem with EXTs, be they in the TER or
anywhere else, as long as they are not necessarily using the TYPO3 API (
that is standalone application ) and fulfill all the other requirements
like "Werkhoehe" ( sorry I'm not aware of the english terminus ) and others
rectifying any self-chosen licence.

>But remember, there is no obligation to publish code of custom
>extensions (eg to TER). The only obligation of the GPL is to deliver the
>code to the customer.
>Masi

Thanks for clarifying this again;
regard g
PS: as for my last weired and not finished posting - sorry for that ( hope
you got my point anyway); will try to remember, that it's a bad idea to
just type away during a meeting with other agenda and hitting send when
leaving without reviewing those partial/unfinished mails in the outbox; (
thanks Wolfgang for the pointer ;-)