[Typo3-dev] gettext as default translation system

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Nov 23 21:59:40 CET 2005

Hi Sven,

>> Can you also make an estimation whether the speed gain is worth the
>> effort or not?
>
> I cannot give you a percentage of performance boost. Fact is that
> gettext is available as native extensions to PHP. So all work is done
> native. The translations are splittet across a file for one language
> (should also reduce memory consumption).

Of course. Certainly I know how gettext works, just wondered if the speed
gain will be noticable BECAUSE I know that migration to gettext would be a
huge project.

> Did I answer your question?

I feer that this is a huge project that nobody likes to start with because I
still miss a convincing argument.

But maybe YOU are willing to implement this? :-)

Regards, michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out