[Typo3-dev] gettext as default translation system

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed Nov 23 13:58:56 CET 2005

Sven Wilhelm schrieb:
>> IMHO TYPO3s i18n system (the new xml one) is fine except for the
>> missing  translation tool for developers. The xml format is even more
>> flexible, so a move to gettext wouldn't improve things.
>
> if the speed of a native translation system isn't enough for you, you
> are right.

I don't think that it's TYPO3s performance bottleneck.

But if you think gettext is really faster, then how abou this setup:

Native format is xml, which will be converted to gettext-files by TYPO3
on demand (just as it is done with the current format).

Current API stays (eg pi_base->getLL) because it supports overrides (TS)
and fallbacks that gettext doesn't support natively.

Masi