[Typo3-dev] gettext as default translation system

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed Nov 23 13:27:29 CET 2005

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
> Martin Kutschker schrieb am 23.11.2005 09:28:
>
>>>Is there any reason to NOT use gettext as teh default translation system?
>
>>Gettext works on compiled string resources, so TYPO3 (and the
>>extensions!) would have to ship with gettext-Makefiles and a dependency
>>on the gettext command line tools.
>
> Its up to the developer to compile the resources, so this is just a
> burden to the TYPO/EXT developer. The end user just uses the compiled
> and provided .mo files. This is being done that way on all major
> PHP-projects that use gettext (e.g. Gallery), so it shouldn't be an issue.

TYPO3 has no tradition of burdening the developer with external tools.
While I do see a point in using gettext in C-applications, I don't want
it in PHP.

IMHO TYPO3s i18n system (the new xml one) is fine except for the missing
  translation tool for developers. The xml format is even more flexible,
so a move to gettext wouldn't improve things.

Masi