[Typo3-dev] Non-GPL licence on a GPL extension

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Wed Nov 23 10:06:34 CET 2005

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Does this package have a PHP-API?

No, it does not. It is a set of flash files. You supply XML data to
these flash files and flash files build graphs. They require no
operations on server (apart from building XML with data, which you can
do with t3lib_div::array2xml if you want), all charts are build in the
browser.

> Then neither you nor your users are
> allowed to run the code within the TYPO3 framework. All code "linked" to
> TYPO3 must be GPL'ed or be distributed in a compatible licence.

So, it is not linked in any way except specific SWF file names :)

> OTOH, if the package has a CLI than you're done (no "linking" takes
> places). You may not distribute the package because of the TER
> restrictions, but you may point your users to the 3rd party download site.

I am not a lawyer but looking to the Lite license I think it is
compatible with GPL. Here is license for lite version says:

======================
 GRANT OF LICENSE
InfoSoft Global grants you a nonexclusive, perpetual right to use
FusionCharts Lite subject to the following terms and conditions:

    * FusionCharts Lite can be used for free if you are a private user.
    * FusionCharts Lite can be used for free if you are an open source
developer and if your application is non-commercial. This means that you
must disclose the full source code of your project, not charge for it,
and make it available under an OSI-approved open source license (see
www.opensource.org). Note that "full source code" includes all
components of the project, not only those which are directly attached to
FusionCharts Lite.
    * FusionCharts Lite can be used for free if you are a research user.
    * All other uses not mentioned here require a commercial license.