[Typo3-dev] I don't want to fork!

Eric Blom ericb at piap.com
Sun Nov 20 21:24:35 CET 2005

This topic has generated lots of great discussion. Can we turn that
discussion into a recommendation and then action?

I'll admit that I don't know much about the inner workings of Typo3.
What I do know is that I want to find a solution to two problems I
currently have
     1) separate registrations for FE users and Newsletters
     2) Typo3 based single signon where accounts are created in
Typo3. Propagated to other apps and the profile options for those
apps can all be managed on a single Typo3 web page for the front end
user.

It seems to me that there is a real need for change in the way that
user information is managed. The suggestions from Peter and Elmar and
endorsed by Bernhard to reorganize the way tt_address and fe_user are
used have merit. Of course the problem is breaking compatibility. In
general I don't like breaking compatibility. However, in this case
the FE user is suffering and change may be justified.

It seems to me that web sites want to be personalized for the FE user
and that that personalization must come from extensions. Therefore, a
strong and common foundation to manage FE users is needed to enable
future development of extensions that utilize FE user information.

Can we formulate a recommendation?

Regards,
Eric