[Typo3-dev] I don't want to fork!

Rainer (Rene) Suthoelder t3 at boswel-remove-me.de
Sun Nov 20 12:46:10 CET 2005

Bernhard Kraft wrote:
> Eric Blom wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> I've got some development work at my web site related to
>>     FE user accounts
>>     FE user registration
>
> Concerning those two I must say that almost every site has little
> differences. Meaning
> one site needs a field "birthdate" in a FE-User record another site
> doesn't. You can't
> cope with all those needs and I came to the conclusion that I always
> have to do a little development to taylor the existing FE-User
> extensions to the needs of my customer.

as for the FE and BE user data thing: last year i asked why it isn't
possible to throw fe_user and tt_address together. for me, those 2 tables
still serve the very same goal: storing data about persons and i still don't
get why there has to be a redundancy in having 2 tables for the same
purpose.
if one could expand tt_address in an manner that some generally required
fields (like sex, date of birth, salutation and others) could be recorded
and joined with some group membership info so that the info resembles more
the data like in any ordinary address book (Lotus Notes/MS Outlook) or user
directory (MS Active Directory/Novell's NDS) that would be a great step
forward.
for example, direct mail would greatly benefit in that you could really fine
tune your recipients list: female, aged 25+, living in the Netherlands, zip
code region XYZ).

JM2C,

rainer