[Typo3-dev] indexed_search - Performance Issue Questions

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Mon Nov 14 19:04:41 CET 2005

Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:
> I think the indexing part of Indexed Search is fine. It could be faster in
> terms of splitting words, but this should only take some hardcore programmer
> to improve (notice the recent speed-reduction is due to its support for UTF-8
> so a trivial preg_split-thingy will not work...)

Using the PHP extension mbstring might speed things up. Simply configure
TYPO3 to do use it!

Perhaps indexed_search can be optimized a bit further by using this PHP
extension.

> The searching part is more tricky. First of all it will traverse the page tree
> and use page IDs for the look ups. With thousands of pages this becomes slow.
> Can be disabled I think. On typo3.org we had a VERY slow search. Why? Well,
> because we allowed to search for "part of word" which generated too big
> result tables. Simply setting it to "distinct" word speeded it up some 100
> times. I don't know how to implement a fast "part-of-word" search but surely
> some wise guy out there can do that!

Hurray for the champion, but I have little hope. Partial matches defy an
index - as you might have noticed ;-)

> What we need: Someone to tune the SQL part of searching for indexed search!

Are there any stats on what queries are particularly slow? I had a look
at Georg's example but noticed only that index rl0_2 is not used in
"his" queries.

Masi