[Typo3-dev] locallang.xml / utf-8

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Mon Nov 14 10:56:39 CET 2005

Hi!

Wolfgang Klinger wrote:
>>> I edited a locallang.xml file (in the backend) to add
>>> some Bosnian (bs) labels.
>>> The backend ist UTF-8, the frontend is UTF-8, the saved locallang.xml
>>> is UTF-8, but the "readLLXMLfile" method in t3lib/class.t3lib_div.php
>>> always converts the Bosnian labels to ISO-8859-1[1] and creates a cached
>>> file like "xml_9e5a044ad0.bs.iso-8859-1.cache".
>>>
>>> So my question is: why is that and how can I change it, as the labels
>>> are obviously outputted in a wrong charset (question marks instead of
>>> the right character)?
>>>
>>> TYPO3 3.8
>>
>>What charset is in the header of locallang.xml?
>
>  locallang.xml:
>  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes" ?>

I checked readLLXMLfile() function, it converts not to iso-8859-1 but to
the character set of BE/FE (depending on where it was called). This is
true if typo3 knows about this character set. However if character set
is not known to typo3, it will convert to iso-8859-1. Seems like this is
what happens in your case.

Dmitry.