[Typo3-dev] To long BE URLs: POST/GET discussion

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Thu May 26 16:16:20 CEST 2005

Stefan Kreisberg schrieb:
> Hiya,
>
> I dunno whether this issue has ever been discussed, so here's some thoughts
> on the BE behaviour, long URI's and Apache server:
>
> I have a site that changes a lot of content and many new pages each week.
> The editors and admins like to clear their info cache with regards to
> getting resetting search results for various issues. This leads to many
> records in the related tables, which again leads to "higher" (and thus also
> bigger) id's with the auto_inc. The result is, that eventually the
> recursive call to "clear info cache" is so long that a default Apache
> compilation fails with:

I don't get to what "recursive calls" you refer here, but...

>  Request-URI Too Large
>  The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.
>
>  request failed: URI too long
>
> One could ofcourse recompile/tune Apache with a larger
> DEFAULT_LIMIT_REQUEST_LINE

it's not only hardcoded, but a limitation of the HTTP protcol itself.
The maximum URL length is about 250 chars. So I won't fiddle with Apache.

I thought about the problem before, but in the context of plugins:
Prefixing the arguments with the pluig name is nice, but can lead to
really long URLs.

Masi