[Typo3-dev] Looking for (study-) project

Gabriel Anast gabriel at anast.org
Wed May 25 00:43:32 CEST 2005

> 3. If you want to improve usability, consider improving the current BE
> (maybe with Ajax, although a lot of that is not really cross-browser
> but IE/Mozilla only) where it seems useful rather than implementing
> /typo3 from scratch.

What follows is a clip from a post in todays AJAX article on /. here:
http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/05/24/159211.shtml?tid=156&tid=8

> ...The idea behind Ajax *does* revolutionize the web paradigm. All
> this nonsense about cross browser compatability issues is just that:
> nonsense; it works in Mozilla, Firefox, IE, Opera, and Konqueror each
> on their respective available platforms. I've actually heard people
> talking about "Ajax enabled advertisements instead of Flash." Other
> gems like "Ajax doesn't do anything that a well programmed web
> application can't do," and "It's just needlessly complex web pages"
> only point to users who fail to grasp the fundamental concept.
>
> Let me tell you: Ajax is FAST. You don't realize how unresponsive web
> pages are until you get to play with a web app that is always waiting
> on you, no the other way around. When I submit information, why do I
> need to wait for that information to get to the server before I can
> begin to perform another operation if that operation isn't dependant
> on the previous? Click Add To Cart then *immediately* start searching
> for the next item. Stuff like that...

Read the complete (and excellent) post here:
http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=150560&threshold=1&commentsort=0&tid=156&tid=8&mode=thread&cid=12626936

My thought is that this is the single most important step that can be
made for the general marketability of Typo3. CMS's and web projects are
bought by middle managers. They want pretty, easy, and dumb when it
comes to web interfaces... the rest of us would love 'fast' as well.

--gabe