[Typo3-dev] pi_getLL & UTF8 & locallang

Thorsten Kahler thorsten.kahler at dkd.de
Wed May 18 22:00:01 CEST 2005

Hi Ingo,

"mixed-mode" does mean having languages that use different "native
encodings" within one website.

As Masi already stated the locallang.php files are multi-encoded - or not
at all, depending on your view. The labels should be edited using the
encoding that's "normal" for the language section you're editing. There's
an array in class t3lib_cs containing languages and assigned encodings.
The default value is iso-8859-1. Depending on the FE language and
config.renderCharset the labels are converted to the output charset.

Lacking a capable editor you could use the suggested workaround: delete
the sections you want to change from locallang.php and edit each of them
in a single TS file. Write down the labels like
plugin.<plugin>._LOCAL_LANG.<lang> {
   label1 = some text
   label2 = another text
}
and include them, perhaps within the according language condition. So
every language section can be edited easily using just one charset within
the label files.

Regards
Thorsten

ps: I wouldn't mind drinking Oliviers beer, cause I'm at Solingen for the
weekend ;-)

--
No Subject - No Realname - No Service!
Respect the List/Newsgroup Rules!
  >> http://typo3.org/1438.0.html <<

It's not a bug - it's an undesired feature.