[Typo3-dev] File Format Conversion Pipeline

Davide Principi d.principi at provincia.ps.it
Mon May 16 10:23:47 CEST 2005

Hi List,
I'd like a way to get different file formats, starting from a single,
"master" document. For example, getting a pdf, xhtml, txt, rtf from an
OpenOffice sxw file.

The Apache Cocoon project (see
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/features.html) does something similar, and
I know there's a Popoon project (http://www.popoon.org/) based on PHP5
(anyone has tested it?).

What my mind is on is creating a framework of Typo3 filters (services)
that works as a pipeline.

For example starting from an sxw file I should get:

sxw -(1)-> docbook -(2)-> pdf.

[but also
sxw -(1)-> docbook ->(2b) -> rtf
sxw -(1)-> docbook ->(2c) -> xhtml
sxw -(3)-> html
and - why not ? -
html -(4) -> pdf
png -(5) -> jpg ...
svg -(6) -> png ...
]

The first filter (1) can use an XSL transformation, while the second (2)
an external program. Those steps may be implemented by the service
mechanism. Every step writes its output on a *unique* database table (as
libunzipped already does on its own for example).

On backend, the *admin* user would build the pipeline as a whole, name
it, and make it available for processing. Front-end plugins would select
a starting file (from a DAM record?) and a named pipeline to get desired
output format.

Is there any project working on something similar (I'd like to join)?
Other ideas?

Thank you for your patience!
--Davide Principi (dabba)