[Typo3-dev] Frontend Forms Code Library

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Mon May 2 00:43:37 CEST 2005

>>I also started a form project with two other developers. Reason is only
>>the license problem of html_quickform.
> Was this really your only reason for writing the same again?!
The main reason is the license. PHP license is not compatible to gpl (as
also written down by the fsf), and for dual licensing, each author has
to agree with it (also not easy task by a multi-author project).

>>One class for each element, a nice structure with inheritence (then you
>>have a good module system that can be integrated in many solutions).
> The idea is interesting but it sounds like this will take a lot of time
> before it can be used...
no, you don't need a full system from the beginning. It can be a nice
extreme programming project, short release cycles and an eye for
reengineering.
* implement a structure (partly done)
* basic html rendering
* later include validation code
* later include rendering interface for several engines (smarty,...)

> If you think the html_quickform fits our needs, what speaks against writing
> such a wrapper for _this_ product before reinventing the wheel?
see the license questions, it's not the first time where license
questions are the reasons for reinventing the wheel.

The project does not target first for typo3, but it could be used easy
for typo3 as well. I think the license will be lgpl.

greets sven