[Typo3-dev] Newbie (plugin developer) questions...

Maidment, Paul Paul.Maidment at isd.csa.scot.nhs.uk
Tue Jun 21 17:31:59 CEST 2005

Hi All,

My organisation (the National Health Service in Scotland) uses Typo3 for a
number of its websites and we would like to look into the development of
plugins, as a precursor to this, I have been asked to investigate the
options.

I am thinking of writing an advanced workflow plugin, before proceeding, I
need to know if

1: There is a method of development through which I can ensure compatibility
with future versions of Typo3 (as a main concern is maintainability of the
code.)

2: What are the best standards to stick to when writing plugins, what
conventions and best practices do you recommend?

3: Where can I get a good tutorial on writing a plugin (something quite
straightforward and simple to start with) .... I already know how to code in
PHP so I would be looking for a good source of Typo3 API tutorial material.

4: Once a plugin is written, what can I do to publish the plugin to the
Typo3 community? so many people have contributed, it would be good to give
something back, and also healthy for future development.

5: Are there any other handy hints / tips / caveats / points of constructive
critiscism that you can think of?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and hope to get some
interesting leads to follow...

Thanks,
Paul
NHS National Services Scotland Disclaimer

legally privileged and is intended for the addressee only. If you have
received this message in error or there are any problems please notify the
originator immediately. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or
alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.