[Typo3-dev] MySQL and column-name quoting...

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Tue Jun 7 22:24:37 CEST 2005

>..... big snip
>
> So actually we might need two versions of sql files, one with and one
> without identifier quotes. It really becomes messy, when both ways are
> mixed, like in the last update of the direct_mail extension.

I would not advice that.
then we need a version for postgresql aswell, for oracle, for mssql etc etc....
that would be a pain in the ass.

One solution would be is a XML scheme for it... make once, use for all.
The ADODB library has already functions for that.

Other solution:
Also I would like to suggest that extention developers need to check for
reserved words and see if the fields can be used on most DB systems. I know that
this can sometimes be differcult ofcourse...

Last solution is when a extention is updated on TER it does a check for valid
values like now, TER can do a import on a couple of different SQL system and
check for valid SQL statements in the *.sql file, must be a REAL import
ofcourse, not just a check for some fields.... I think something like that is
work in progress....doing checks that is.

Ries