[Typo3-dev] We have a roadmap!

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Sat Jun 4 18:53:38 CEST 2005

Hi Michael,

Michael Scharkow wrote:

> while the roadmap itself looks very promising, I'm a bit confused about
> the release numbers:
>
> 4.0 looks like mostly a bug-fixing release and offers _no_ really new
> features. Instead, it looks like the best of the 3.x series, so why not
> name it 3.9?

Well, it is the first release with stable versions of all extensions
mentioned there and because we haven't announced the features with no
previous version yet officially, it is also an important signal
marketing-wise.

Furthermore TYPO3 4.0 comes with a completely rewritten TCEmain which really
is a fundamental change at the very heart of TYPO3.

And - although it mostly works already with 3.8.0 - it will be the first
version officially supporting PHP5 which means that you can move to PHP5
without any fear.

The only version number I'm not really sure about is 4.5, but I think that
those numbers aren't that important for us developers anyways.

> This leads to some difficulty with naming the following major versions,
> but given that we've had the 3.x series for half a decade, jumping up to
>   5.0 in a little more than a year smells a little like a marketing
>   buzz...

Not only marketing buzz. I think 4.0 is really justified and 5.0 gives a
clear signal that it is fully based on PHP5.

> BTW, what is the 'portal standard' mentioned in 5.0 roadmap?

In short: We need a easy-to-use standard way for templating and integrating
FE-plugins into websites. Why should it be easier to add some module at
some random portal CMS than with TYPO3? So basically it's about a new
pi_base and a templating standard.

> Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to these releases :)

puuh, thanks God ;-)

--
robert