[Typo3-dev] Pledge fo 3.8.1

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sat Jun 4 18:39:18 CEST 2005

Hi Masi,

>> If the beta would be tested seriously then there would be no need to
>> hurry with a 3.8.1 just a few days after 3.8.0 is out.
>
> And if the beta would be announced on the users list and on typo3.org then
> we would have a serious user base. The hiding of the beta and the RCs do
> (IMHO) much damage to the prcoess of testing.

I don't think that beta releases should be promoted too much.

The developers list is some kind of "experts zone" where I can expect the
users to do some research on their own, checking if it's a bug or their own
mistake, and probably help to work on a solution...

Since the dev list is read by 440 subscribed users (plus ca. the same amount
of newsreader clients who can read anonymously) I'd say there were enough
people knowing about the betas...

But I agree that release candidates should be announced publically - that
was my fault I didn't do that.

However, the English and the German lists plus some more UG lists were all
informed since other people wrote about that. So I think this is not the
main reason for the missing feedback.

> I think that if we had a) more betas that are announced and b) some kind
> of announcement for devs that a beta or an RC is out at *least* two weeks
> before, the whole process would be improved. a) makes sure more people
> test the release and b) makes sure all those little fixes lying around on
> everybodies harddisk have a chance to get into the code. Both for 3.7 and
> 3.8 I was surprised with the actual release date. Mind, that many of us
> have some kind of other life. So a "hey folks, next week we have a new
> release" is no way to get dev involved. I need those two weeks to manage
> my time. So I can talk with my boss for doing fixes i office time and to
> devote some time in my spare time.

I think the testing phase took long enough, and the release circle was
announced in a roadmap by Kasper and me (though this was a bit too
optimistic).

Anyway, even you have been informed about our aims...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out