[Typo3-dev] We have a roadmap!

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Sat Jun 4 18:07:36 CEST 2005

Hi Martin,

Martin Kutschker wrote:

>> I just published the roadmap for TYPO3 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0 on TYPO3.org [1].
>
> Fine :-)
>
> Is there any reason that 4.5 follows 4.0 besides major steps look more
> cool? Or shall it signify a major *visible* achievement (redesigned
> interface)?

The latter. It's bassically the middle of the way between 4.0 and 5.0

> PS: I'm looking forward to the refactored core. How much will change,

TCEmain will be radically changed, user handling most likely too, other
parts are not yet decided.

> will the old API be supported by wrappers,

The API will most likely NOT break - at least during a transition phase of 2
versions or so. It's more or less like with TYPO3_DB, the old API is
deprecated and authors should move over to the new one. But nothing to
fear, refactoring rulez ...

> will we see "real" OO, etc.

whatever you call 'real' OO ;-) ... yes. We will make proper use of PHP5s
features to enforce encapsulation etc., use design patterns where they make
sense and take advantage of some techniques of eXtreme Programming.

Another advantage will be the integration of unit testing into the core and
system extensions.
--
robert