[Typo3-dev] Porting mediaWiki to TYPO3?

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Wed Jan 26 19:15:19 CET 2005

Hi Christian,

Christian Trabold wrote:
> Is there a chance to get a deeper insight into this project? What's the
> schedule?

The timtaw (TYPO3 Is More Than A Wiki) extension has been started by
Robert and me on the trip to the Snowboard Tour as an attempt to solve
the problem of too much separation of http://typo3.org and
http://wiki.typo3.org. We thought about how we could introduce the wiki
way of editing content to TYPO3 without having to reinvent the wheel.
As we all know, TYPO3 has already got a Frontend Editing interface
(Admin Panel), so it seemed logical to use that for the wiki.

So we decided to let the "Wikify" backend module create a virtual
backend user during wikification of a page or page tree. Now, when a
visitor of your wiki wants to edit something, he clicks on a pencil
close to a content element and is then logged-in as that virtual Backend
user. All the form rendering and permission control is already handled
by the regular Frontend Editing - you can grant rights to the Timtaw
Backend user the same way you grant rights to other Backend users,
including things like excludefields or deny-field-values because the
Timtaw user in fact IS a BACKEND user.

If you (as the wiki administrator) want to make a part of the pagetree
wiki-editable, you just click "Wikify!" in the context menu of the page
you wish to be your wiki-root.
Timtaw then automatically creates a new Backend user timtaw_md5asdf and
sets that user as the owner of the selected page as well as its subpages
(if option 'include subpages' is selected). Furthermore, the pages will
have a check-box "Wiki" set.

The great thing is, that you can that way declare a page to be
temporatily editible, and a month later you can sort of freeze the
current state by dewikifying the page again, which means the public
can't change anything any more and it's a regular page again.

OK, that's about it.

Unfortunately I can't say much about a schedule because personally I'm
quite busy in school currently, but on the snowboardtour Sebastian
Kurfuerst enthusiastically joined us in working on it, maybe he'll find
time to continue working on it. Also Robert might be willing to finish
it in the process of the typo3.org Spring-Cleaning(tm).

Sebastian already comitted Timtaw to typo3xdev CVS:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/typo3xdev/tx_timtaw/
However, it has to be regarded as a work in progress, nothing really
usable yet.

cheers,
Ingmar

--