[Typo3-dev] Typo3 Application Server

Dimitri Tarassenko dtarassenko at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 15:01:16 CET 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:38:23 +0100, Robert Lemke <robert at typo3.org> wrote:

> - One of TYPO3s bottlenecks is possibly its statelessness. Take the
>   frontend user sessions as an example: At each page hit we have to
>   query the database for getting the FE session and also write it
>   back at some point. If we had a daemon which held that information
>   for a certain time in memory, we don't have to have so many DB /
>   file accesses.

Statelessness has its benefits, such as better scalability.

I do think though that the whole application server idea is
interesting but purely from theoretic point of view, and here is why:

1. App servers provide performance gains since executable code is not
loaded/unloaded. Compared to PHP applications run under any of the
accelerators (MMTurck, PHPA) these gains would be minimal.

2. Running the whole shebang just to perform cron jobs is duplicating
the functionality already existing in the operating systems. Whoever
has enough rights to run a daemon/service should be able to run
cron/at.

3. On writing a daemon in PHP - if we are talking of proper forking
and my memory still serves me well, pcntl only available on Linux and
even there its an optional module. Or did you plan on using something
else?

All in all, I would much more prefer to see a missing kitchen sink
extension in TYPO3. Come on, people, even Mozilla has it! ;)))

--
Dimitri Tarassenko