[Typo3-dev] Typo3 Application Server

Kraft Bernhard kraftb at mokka.at
Mon Jan 24 23:08:42 CET 2005

Michael Scharkow wrote:
>> But I want that THE APPLICATION always runs ... not the daemon by which
>> the application is started again and again. ... so the application can
>> read in data and output it to other sources ...
>

> Okay, I see. You need a daemon that is constantly running, but what is
> (besides performance issues) the difference to some apache with TYPO3
> which reads and outputs data on demand (and in different formats, if you
> like).

It is performance issues ... Running 50 instances of apache for 50 chat
users is such an overkill ...
Instead handling 50 user objects in an array in typo3 is much tighter.
especially if you use @ for assignments and don't copy the array when
it isn't necessary ...

>> the dmailer script is one example for a standalone app that does a
>> sensefull
>> thing. i have wrtten one myself ... a chatserver ... and i think there
>> are
>> quite some out there else there wouldn't be a special "cli" version of
>> php
>> if "cgi" could do the same ...
>

> Okay, I don't say there's none, but there is definitely a reason why I
> don't see many servers written in PHP, or gui apps, or...

I thought of PHP because it is the language of choice for Typo3 ...
and one should continue this line ...

As long as PHP doesn't support threads this application server will be
not so powerfull as it should be ... but when threads come in (in PHP6
I hope) it can be a full featured app server...

>> you could implement almost any live-game with an application server ...
>> and games are a thing typo3 is missing ... i think !
>

> But the point is that TYPO3 is tightly tied to the www and http which is
> stateless and very bad in realtime apps. That's why most chats are java
> applets and the like. As for live games in websites: Do you have any
> examples that work like that?

hey ... we are not in the DSP world ... it doesn't need to be realtime...
it should just be "uninterrupted" in the meaning of that the page doesn't
has to be reloaded all the time ...

I have an example of an standalone app which i built by cutting out parts
from the dmailer script and index.php ... it parses TS code .. gets its
config from there and then runs for weeks without shouting errors ...
you can see it live at:
http://kbchat.think-open.org/
you will have to register to see the chat ... sorry for that

> If you need a daemon for a special app, write it in you favorite
> language and run it. I still don't see why we need TYPO3 for that,
> except as a GUI to control your daemon.

or stay in the language were the rest of the codebase is written in
so I can use the already existing code (templating engine, TS config possibilities,
mailer, html parser, etc.)

it is ovious that php isn't the language of choice for an standalone app
but besides the case that it isn't already widely used i see nothing against it.

and if there are no bad problems i will implement it as extension ...

only knowing that things are hard while there's no thread support in php

greets,
Bernhard