[Typo3-dev] GPL and what's the definition of "public"

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4dfx.de
Wed Jan 19 21:42:58 CET 2005

Hi folks,

I am little concerned about GPL and making extension available. Any
advise or link highly appreciates

1) GPL and "...releasing to the public..."
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLRequireSourcePostedPublic
states "...You are free to make modifications and use them privately,
without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including
companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it
internally without ever releasing it outside the organization."

2) Question: what is ouside or public
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCUnreleasedMods
"However, putting the program on a server machine for the public to talk
to is hardly "private" use, so it would be legitimate to require release
of the source code in that special case."

So for me the GPL does not differentiate if the output of the program or
the program is directly available to the public. The program runs on the
internet so it's out the organisation and the code HAS TO PUBLUSHed.

But
3) http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCCompanyGPLCostsMoney
"What the GPL requires is that he must have the freedom to distribute a
copy to you if he wishes to."

I know there where some threads abaout GPL and the Typo3 framework. But
what's the status for an extension or if someone would "harden" Typo3?

Thanks in advance.

Regs Peter