[Typo3-dev] Integrating a new type of text area

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Sat Jan 15 12:54:50 CET 2005

Hi,

André Hänsel schrieb:
> Happily I see a lot of ideas and interest in this thread but I think the
> discussion is cluttering a bit so I'll try to sort all the ideas. I don't
> carry any opinion in this mail. I hope you can tie up to these points and
> comment upon each of them.
>

> === _Where_ to implement something ===
> Several starting points to latch into Typo3 have been mentioned:
>
> - A wizard for a normal text field (will need additional transformation,
> won't it?)
> - An input form in the Frontend
> - Transformation that takes places always in normal text fields (Unless
> turned off by configuration. Apropos configuration: TSconfig, Template?)
> - A new kind of input field which can be chosen in the TCA (and therefore in
> the kickstarter) beside e.g. "text area", "text area with RTE", "link" or
> "database relation" (My initial idea but not necessarily the best one)
> - A new content element type beside e.g. "header", "text" or "table"
> (similar to text) Mind the difference to the previous one!

^ This has definitly my vote:
* least interferring with existing stuff
* ease of decision of usage(by the new allow/deny feature for
content-elements)
* easy possibility to adopt different transformations for different
content-elements (TCA.tt_content.type.newtextelement.showitem and/or
PageTSConfig)
* possibility to transparaently switching content-element type and doing
necessary transformations when switch is done
* separation in TS-Configuration for website-output

> - An extension which implements one of the preceding.

sure should be encapsulated/implemented within an extension

> - A switch aside the text areas in the backend where one can decide in which
> kind of formatting he wants to enter content (Breaking fly on a wheel?
> Kanonen, Spatzen... ;))
>

> === _What_ to implement ===
> And by now also several additional proposals for functions have been made:
>
> - A wizard for a normal text field (s.a.)
> - Some kind of replacement for the RTE, using the RTE API
> - Tags like typolist (already exist)
> - Wiki style formatting, i.e. enumeration by use of "*", headers by use of
> "===" (My initial idea)
> - Eventually some kind of linking (even wiki-linking possible?)
> - A wiki extension (I think that is something completely different, if not,
> explain it to me)
> - phpBB-like formatting

I don't really know what you are heading for but that's what I think.

Cheers,
Peter
--
Peter Niederlag