[Typo3-dev] Versioning Fix

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2005 at typo3.com
Wed Jan 12 14:21:09 CET 2005

Hi Mattes,

> I mean - please don't feel offended, but using SQL that works fine on
> some versions of one (!) DB somewhat messes up my understanding of high
> quality code.

When a field is a SIGNED integer, why can I not make its value negative? All IDs are at all times unique and it is therefore clearly a bug that the auto_increment feature in MySQL messes up the next-index value. This is THE BUG they fixed in later versions.

So your argument is that high quality code should work on buggy implementations? At best you can claim that a requirement of MySQL 4.0.18+ is maybe a bit strict, nevertheless only required for versioning.

Why it doesn't work on Oracle etc. I don't know.

- kasper