Fw: [Typo3-dev] Project proposal: TypoG

eimars eimars at rogers.com
Sat Feb 26 21:33:15 CET 2005

First let me start by stating that I'm not a programmer but I've managed to
learn typo3 with the help of all the online documentation and by asking
questions on mailing list. Typo3 has amazing potential as a development
platform but as a community we need to think in a progressive and forward
looking manner. This idea for an offline editing tool really deserves allot
of community attention not because it is the most pressing need from a
developer point of view but because it would be of amazing benefit to the
end user. Anything that will make it easy for someone to use a tool is good.
I followed the discussion and hear allot of buzz words passing around most
of it over my head. :-) In my humble opinion what we need it a tool similar
to Macromedia's Contribute
http://www.macromedia.com/software/contribute/productinfo/features/brz_tour/.
But instead of editing static html pages we will be editing database
records. A great starting point for this I think is the very useful but not
fully developed FE editing. If we can take this feature an put it on the
desktop I think it would be very useful. All you will be editing is a page
or single content item. It should work like this.
- you connect to t3 using you BE username and password.
- you get a pagetree based on your user permissions.
- you select page which will display page content.
- select content item to edit.
- by selecting content item you lock that record not allowing anyone else to
modify it until you republish it.
- the only thing that is downloaded is the record you are working on
including all media that makeup that page/record.
- after editing you just republish the record inserting db content in the
right tables and media files in the right folders.

This might event be possible by simply building an extention for firefox
which contain a rich text editor and local storage and ftp client. there is
already and ftp client for firefox so it would be more of a integration
thing. After all you are just taking the content and storing is locally
temporarily and then resubmitting it.

As I said I'm not a programmer so I could be over simplifing a much more
complex issue.

eimars